The Margaret Keller Adult Education Scholarships provide financial help expenses associated with retraining. This includes assistance for tuition, books, supplies, and travel expenses, so that recipients can pursue studies that range from certification courses to courses at local colleges and universities, including online courses. This financial support assists them in obtaining their goals to become productive, self-sufficient members of the community.
“Tony” has been a student at Wake Tech for 3 semesters and with a 4.0 average and near completion of his associate’s degree, he plans to finish up at Wake Tech this spring and then transfer to NC State. Tony has been making ends meet through a part-time job and financial aid, but at times, he struggles to pay for gas to get back and forth from work, school and home. A friend at his church knew his situation, told him about our Margaret Keller Scholarship and suggested he check into it for help with gas. The counselor that interviewed him described him as a “breath of fresh air… a guy who is willing to work hard and has a plan to get him on his feet”. Tony is the kind of guy we want to encourage in his endeavors and we were pleased to award him $100 a month in gas cards for his last semester at Wake Tech and encouraged him to reapply after he transfers to NC State in the fall. Tony’s award is a good example of help that makes a difference.
Requirements for Margaret Keller Educational Assistance
- This scholarship program is NOT intended for recent high school graduates pursuing undergraduate degrees. It is meant to assist self-sufficient adults with training that will result in increased income and/or job stability.
- You must reside in Cary or Morrisville, N.C.
- You must have limited income preventing you from receiving further educational achievement
- You must desire to gain further education to enter the work force and/or expand your work credentials
- All requests should be presented at least 30 days prior to your deadline dates
- All information on the application must be completed
- You must submit the required documentation
- You must participate in an interview at the Dorcas Ministries office by the Margaret Keller Educational Assistance Committee
How To Apply
At least one month prior to payment deadline:
Call the Dorcas Outreach Office to schedule an interview: 919-469-9861, ext 203
Please bring the following items to your interview:
- Completed Scholarship Application
- Copies are available in the Crisis Ministry office
- Click HERE to download and print at home
- Photo Identification
- Proof of Residence in Cary or Morrisville
- Social Security Card
- Proof of ALL income for ALL ADULTS in the household:
- Last 2 month’s pay stubs
- OR last month’s bank account statement showing disability, unemployment, social security, child support or other income
- AND last year’s Tax Return
- Rental Lease or Mortgage Statement
- Grade transcripts or grade from most recently completed semester
- Financial Aid Report from the school you are attending showing your grant and loan allocations for the present school year
- Contact person, phone number, and name of the school you will be attending.
- If you need assistance with gasoline, please indicate the number of miles traveled for school each week.
- For books and tuition needs, bring the invoice from the institution. Payment is paid directly to them with the information on the official invoice.
Photo by Christopher Connell.