The purpose of the Childcare Assistance is to provide an educational experience for a 4 or 5 year old child in preschool or for a child in before/after school care or camps. The program can also assist short-term with daycare costs and serve as a bridge to financial family independence. You must call to schedule an interview to be considered for assistance.
Chantel had a new job, a new baby and a dilemma. She had found a daycare to take care of her 4 month old little girl, but her first paycheck would be a month away. Chantel did not have the money to pay for the first month of daycare. She was considering turning down the new job that she desperately needed because she just couldn’t come up with the funds. Then a friend suggested she call Dorcas Ministries for help. Chantel applied for childcare assistance and she was approved! Her first month of daycare was covered, and she could start her new job. “Thank you so much for all your help!” Chantel wrote in a thank-you note. Now Chantel is working, her little girl is in a state certified daycare and the family is stable and self-sufficient.
Requirements for Childcare Assistance Programs
- You must reside in Cary or Morrisville, N.C.
- Your family finances hold the child back from receiving an educational experience
- A completed Childcare Application obtained on line
- All information on the application must be completed
- An interview at the Dorcas office by a member of the Childcare Team
- Parents cannot be receiving assistance from the State of North Carolina (i.e., Childcare Voucher)
- Both parents must be employed
- The daycare facility must be licensed by the state of North Carolina
- Daycare assistance is short term
- Must be 5-year-old transitional program or a 4-year-old program
Before and After School
- Parent is at work, leaving the child unsupervised at home
How to Apply
Call to request an interview on: 919-469-9861, ext 203
You will need to submit the following information prior to your interview:
- Completed Scholarship Application (Click HERE to download and print at home)
- Copy of Photo Identification for Custodial Parents
- Proof of Residence in Cary or Morrisville
- Copy of Social Security or Tax ID Card for Custodial Parents
- Child’s birth certificate
- Rental Lease or Mortgage Statement
- Proof of ALL income for ALL ADULTS in the household:
• Last 2 month’s pay stubs OR last month’s bank account statement showing disability, unemployment, social security, child support or other income
- A Statement from the preschool or childcare or daycare* provider, indicating:
• Contact Person
• Telephone Number
• Mailing Address
• Program Cost and Dates
• Due Dates for Payment
• Confirmation of Space Available for Your Child
NOTE: The daycare must be certified by the State of N.C. You can check the status of the daycare provider by searching on the NC Division of Child Development and Early Education website.
NOTE: Families who receive a NC state childcare subsidy are not eligible for childcare assistance from Dorcas.
Photo courtesy of the U.S. Army.