September is Hunger Action Month. To help bring more awareness, Dorcas Ministries posted facts throughout the month on our Facebook page.
Below are all of the facts that we shared, along with a few additional ones. We hope you will keep this issue in the front of your mind, even when the month is over.
- In the last month, food demand from Dorcas Food Pantry has increased by 45%.
- Did you know that in 2011 North Carolina ranked in the top seven states to exhibit significantly higher rates of household food insecurity? North Carolina is currently 17.1% above the US average for food insecurity.
- In August alone Dorcas Food Pantry has served 488 people, 165 families, and has given $23,000 in food assistance. This is compared to serving 295 people and 88 families in January of 2013. The need for food donations has increased almost by 40% in the past 8 months.
- Did you know that over 20 million children receive free or reduced-price lunch each school day. Less than half of them get breakfast and only 10 percent have access to summer feeding sites. Hunger is real. Lets do something about it.
- Did you know that 72% of food banks nationwide do not feel as though they are able to adequately meet the needs of their communities without adjusting the amount of food distributed. Join us in making sure that Dorcas Ministries is not part of this statistic!
- Dorcas Ministries hopes to alleviate the hunger issues in Cary and Morrisville. If you or someone you know may be struggling with hunger reach out to your local organization. We’re here to help.
- Myth: Most hungry people are homeless. Fact: In North Carolina only 12% of those served by food pantries are actually homeless.
- Did you know that 170,000 people in North Carolina receive emergency food assistance every week? That means that 1 out of 60 people in North Carolina are receiving this type of help. What can you do to reduce this number?
- 28% of all North Carolina food pantries actually have to turn away clients due to a lack of food. Dorcas Ministries need your help to make sure that our food pantry can provide our area with their nutritional necessities. We are currently accepting donations!
- Did you know that Nearly half (49.2 percent) of American children will receive supplemental nutrition assistance program (SNAP) benefits at some point in their lives?
- 80% of North Carolina households with children and receiving food assistance don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Help Dorcas Ministries provide food security for these families in our area!
- Hunger is a serious problem in central and eastern North Carolina. In these counties, more than 560,000 struggle each day to provide enough food for their families.
- Statistically speaking, 25% of Americans personally know someone who has been forced to choose between buying food and paying bills. Chances are you know someone who faces these same choices. What can we do about it? Dorcas Ministries provide qualifying persons with nutritional foods at no cost. What can we do for you?
- North Carolina and Louisiana lead the nation with the highest percentage of children under the age of 5 to who are food insecure on a regular basis.
- North Carolina is tied for 12th with the highest percentage of citizens experiencing food shortages.
- Did you know that Dorcas Ministries is the temporary home for Sunday Vineyard’s Food Recovery project? Check out more about this project here.
- Dorcas Ministries is currently accepting donations for the food pantry. We are in need of baking items, cereal, veggie soup, mixed veggies, pinto beans, canned fruit, applesauce, pasta meals, canned chicken, beef stew.